Subscribe Now

What to do if you lose your wallet with the documents

UPDATE Article Ed. 4 2019 - 06-05-2020

What to do if you lose your wallet with the documents

We know what to do if we lose our bank cards or find that they have been used fraudulently, but what about other documents? Passports and identity cards for example. Did you know that you can report those to the Bank of Portugal (BdP), or why you should do so? --As nossas desculpas por este artigo não ter tradução --

If you lose your wallet with the documents or if for some reason the documents are lost, stolen, falsified or counterfeited, or if you know that someone is using them illegally a quick reaction can avoid many problems. You should report the situation to the police and keep the document they give you. After that you might then also consider informing the Banco de Portugal, as this will protect you further from any illicit financial transactions.

Upon receiving the information, BdP will, within five days, disseminate it through the all other entities that make up the banking system. Thereafter, these entities will be able to act if someone tries to perform any operation using the stolen documents. However, Banco de Portugal is not responsible for the treatment that these entities will give the information.

The communication to the Bank of Portugal is free and must be made by the holder of the documents or their legal representative. Only the following documents are covered: citizen's card, identity card, taxpayer's card, passport, authorisation or residence permit.

To inform the Bank of Portugal you must complete the form that the supervisory entity makes available. Always attach proof of your report to the police, which must refer to the identification documents in question. Finally, submit the request. If you prefer, you can print the form, fill it out and deliver it to a Banco de Portugal service desk, or send it by fax (222 004 460), e-mail ( or by mail (to the address: Banco de Portugal - Filial - Praça da Liberdade, n.º 92 4000 - 322 Porto).

If you subsequently find the documents, you must then another form and make the same communication to the Bank of Portugal, who will disclose the information free of charge.

Theft or misuse of bank cards or cheques cannot be included in this communication. In those cases, you should contact the respective issuing authority as soon as possible or report the situation to SIBS (808 201 251 or 21 7918780/00351 21 7918780 from abroad). You should make a note of your card number and the NIB or account number and keep it safe, so you can quote them when reporting the theft.

Article reproduced by permission of DECO -

Parceiros Aliados
  • Medal Insurance
  • Algarve Resident
  • Blevins & Franks
  • Turismo de Portugal - Algarve
Parceiros Associados
  • Toldolanda
  • Golf for Greys
  • NCA Portugal
  • Mestre Raposa