Portuguese Civil Protection Agency.
Below is a breakdown of responsibilities of the CPA
- Defining, managing and implementing policies on civil protection security border control, protection and rescue.
- Promotion of volunteering programs and civil participation.
- Integration of emergency services.
- Emergency Planning
- Risk management
- Civil Protection Logistics
- Hazard Prediction
- Relief Operations
- Civil protection, fire emergency, medical emergency;
- The monitoring of meteorological, oceanographic, seismic and geological risks, and
- Assistance and monitoring of beaches, bathing areas and coastal rescue.
- Regional Civil Protection.
Municipalities are responsible for:
- The creation of municipal fire departments;
- The construction and maintenance of fire stations, and
- The construction, maintenance and management of municipal facilities and centres of civil protection.
Intermunicipal entities are responsible for:
- Same areas, under agreement with the municipalities
Parishes are responsible for:
- Participating in the municipal council of security;
- presiding over the local unit of civil protection;
- collaborating with the municipal authority of civil protection in the imminence or occurrence of a major accident or disasterCommunication Network development in liaison with the central authorities.