HELP for arriving Ukrainian refugees
There are now a number of organisations, both international and in Portugal, that are trying to help the people in Ukraine during the conflict there. There are also organisations assisting those trying to move out of Ukraine, mostly women and children, some of whom are being reunited with family in other countries and some who are simply leaving and hoping to find shelter away from the war.
As we know, Portugal has opened its doors to Ukrainian refugees, who are now arriving in the country and being provided support by the Portuguese state. However that process is not immediate and when they arrive in Portugal, often with nothing more than the clothes they are wearing and perhaps a few other items they could carry, there is a need to provide them with food, particularly for the younger children, clothing and bedding.
The government agency ACM (Alto Comissariado para as Migrações) is working with several agencies to provide shelter and basic supplies/clothing to Ukrainians who are arriving and waiting to be included in the system to receive state support. One of those agencies is Cáritas https://caritas.pt/, a part of the Portuguese Catholic church, with diocese across the country.
In a meeting with Sr Carlos Oliveira and Dra Ana Pereira of Cáritas Algarve on Friday, we were asked to raise awareness of their mission and the needs, which are clothing, shoes etc for babies and children and also clothing for their mothers. They are also needing bed linen and towels and of course food.
There are 6 delivery points in the Algarve and we are currently trying to ascertain the situation across the rest of the country. When we have that information we will update this message, however the website above does give details on the Cáritas organisations across Portugal with contact details.
For now, the reception centres in the Algarve are as follows:
- FARO– Cáritas Diocesana do Algarve – Rua Brites de Almeida, n.º 10 A, Faro weekdays between 9h00 and 12h00 and from 14h00 to 17h00;
- LAGOA – Cáritas Paroquial de Lagoa – Urb. Covas da Areia, bl A, 1ª loja, Lagoa (for open times please call Nelson Alves – 967735047);
- BOLIQUEIME – Cáritas Paroquial de Boliqueime – Igreja Paroquial – weekdays from 18h30 to 20h00 e Saturdays from 15h00 to 17h00;
- PORTIMÃO – Cáritas Paroquial de Portimão – Loja Solidária, Rua Diogo Gonçalves, n.º 31, Portimão, from Monday to Friday from 10h00 to 12h30 and from 15h00 to 18h00;
- SB ALPORTEL – Cáritas Paroquial de S. Brás de Alportel – Igreja Paroquial until 18h00 or Rua João Rosa Beatriz, n.º 40, S. Brás de Alportel, from 14h30 to 17h00;
- LOULÉ – Cáritas Paroquial de Loulé – Centro Paroquial e Social, Rua Pinheiro e Rosa, Tuesday to Friday from 15h00 to 17h00.